Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 35000 miles my diesel Canyon started to use oil.
I now have to drive 50 miles to the dealer to have my oil checked every 1000 miles.
Drove the truck 500 miles to Omaha had to add a quart.
Came back to the dealer after another 800 miles. They added another 1/2 quart.
GM watches for 5000 miles and decide what to do.
I asked the dealer if after 35000 it turns into a 2 cycle and got no reaction at all.
Is anyone else having consumption issues?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
38,400 on our 2017 Canyon and I don't think I've noticed it using oil yet. There are others though who have noticed that their trucks do use some oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
6800 miles and counting and no noticible oil consumption. Having said that, when the vehicle was bought brand new the oil level was too high (merely 1/16" from covering the entire dipstick reading attachment if you know what I mean) and the dealer did first oil change at around 5500 miles and again the oil level is at same "too high level".

Only annoying problem so far has been battery drain (second occurance since purchase during fall season last year). Big time drain down to 3.5 volts! But that's a story for another thread!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
At 35000 miles my diesel Canyon started to use oil.
I now have to drive 50 miles to the dealer to have my oil checked every 1000 miles.
Drove the truck 500 miles to Omaha had to add a quart.
Came back to the dealer after another 800 miles. They added another 1/2 quart.
GM watches for 5000 miles and decide what to do.
I asked the dealer if after 35000 it turns into a 2 cycle and got no reaction at all.
Is anyone else having consumption issues?
Is all that oil in your intercooler tubes?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am embarrassed to admit it but I did not check the oil level after my first change about 4000 miles ago. The majority of the miles my truck does are long trips. I checked it this morning after it has been sitting for a week. It is overfilled, past the indicator and on the cable about 1/16 of an inch. After a week of sitting I assume there is significant engine drain back but that seems like a lot of drain back.

One of the larger GMC dealers in St. Louis did the first service and have to believe they have experience with Canyon diesels.

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The spec calls for 6qt so they dump in six quarts regardless of how many quarts they actually drain out. I’ve never been to the dealer for service but I dumped in six quarts on my first change and I felt like it was overfilled. I let it drain longer now and check it after 5.5.

How it’s been happening in svc depts for years the difference is our oil pan is the size of a coffee can so it’s “sensitive” to overfilling I think

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I usually don't dump in the so-called required amount on the last 4 vehicles I've owned/ maintained. Although, I actually did this use the required amount this last go on my 2010 Civic. But on the Canyon, I usually have a little left over. I guess I don't let it drain fully. I get tired of waiting and when the drops slower between drips, I put the plug back in.

All new oil in the engine is hard to see on the dipstick anyways: having some of the old in there makes it easier to see where the level is :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
A general comment as this may not be widely known.

The oil filter cartridge assembly holds over a half quart of oil. Be sure to pull the old filter WHILE the the plug has been removed, the oil is HOT and is STILL draining. Then you can get all of the old oil out. You will hear more drain out when the filter is removed

Otherwise, if you change the filter after the drain, then that extra 0.5 quart of old oil will not get removed and you could be overfilled if you add 6 quarts.

I always follow this procedure and drain for at least 15 minutes while I check the air filter and poke around the engine compartment. My truck always takes exactly 6 quarts.

Not sure if all cartridge filters are like this, but my TDI was. Same procedure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The proven adage "if you want something done righ do it yourself" applies to oil changes. Cause the dealer will overfill just about very time if not eveytime: They just don't want to put in the time it takes to do it right. I've heard and seen several new bought cars from relatives, friends that have overfilled oil from the dealer's first few "free" oil changes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm running Amsoil European Formula Dexos 2 5W-40.
The only Dexos 2 5W-40 available where I live.
5W-40 will be my year round oil as shown in the manual.
Superior hot weather/towing performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts