Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

Wanting to purchase GMC Canyon Diesel

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  EddieV 
#1 ·
Hello all, thank you for allowing me to join your group.

I'm looking at a 2016 GMC Canyon Diesel SLE Crew Cab with Long Bed for a few reasons:

1. I'm told 2016 has 5 Year 100k mile warranty and 2017/18 only has 3 year 60k mile warranty.
2. The prices drop significantly since 2016 is no longer considered a "new vehicle".
3. Certified Pre-Owned seems to afford additional maintenance

However, I realize that this information may be incorrect.

I would appreciate any help in confirm this and/or helping me see the error of my thinking if it's better to purchase a 2017 or 2018.

Thank you

#2 ·
As with all vehicles, CPO are often the most cost effective vehicle purchases. Yes, you will have more maintenance to do sooner as a result of a CPO vehicle likely having 30k miles on it when you get it. Tires, brakes, fluid changes, etc. will all be near future items instead of distant future items with a brand new vehicle.

There's not much else to say about it - you either want a new vehicle or a used vehicle. There are minor differences in trim levels and options, but essentially they are the same vehicle from 2016 to 2018.

#3 ·
I mean, I have been told that the Emissions warranty runs out at 36,000 miles on any of the 3 model years (think RockCrawler told me that), and then it's up to you on what kind of vehicle warranty you get from there. I believe the standard is either 80 or 100,000 miles, or you could do what we did on our 2017 and paid extra for the extended 120,000 mile warranty. Which should cover everything, except for the emissions system I'm told...which is crappy.

#8 ·
Guys let me tell you how my CPO claim is going. I bought my truck out of state. The reason was the local dealer did not have a colorado duramax and did not offer to find me one 4/22/2021. (poor service) This dealer has 2 new vehicles on the lot yesterday 7/21/2021. When i went in they stated they did not participate in the program and why don't i take it back where i bought it? I am thinking what if i was traveling on vacation and my vehicle broke down would i have to push,pull or haul it back where i bought it? Doesn't say much for Chevrolet. After talking with a GM claim rep. she stated the CPO warranty is just like a new vehicle warranty. They are suppose to get back with me in 2 bussiness days.
Customer service is lacking in todays market it seams. Now i am wondering if the 100,000 mile power train warranty any better! I would much rather buy a vehicle with out a warranty than buy one thinking i have a warranty only to find out i don't or one i have to fight and argue to use!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.