Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of anyone installing a WMI system on our 2.8s? Not finding a lot of specific information for our engine out there. Kits for larger engines (6.6) are pretty common. Universal kits exist. If it reduces our EGTs when towing and cleans the valves, I wonder if this could extend the life of the engine / turbo. Is this possible?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unless your trying to grenade your engine. Water is never a good idea in a diesel. At about a 100:1 expansion rate for water. In a engine that has a very high compression ratio(use for ignition of the fuel). Is a recipe for disaster. Diesels have sensors to pick up any water in the fuel system for good reason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Both of you have no idea what you are talking about. Look up water methane injection in diesel engines. It’s an atomizing water methane mixture injector system mounted on the turbo boost manifold past the inter cooler. WMI has been used to cool diesel and unleaded EGTs through latent heat of vaporization since turbos were invented. It’s not like it’s dumping water down the hatch. It’s more like a humidifier.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Both of you have no idea what you are talking about. Look up water methane injection in diesel engines. It’s an atomizing water methane mixture injector system mounted on the turbo boost manifold past the inter cooler. WMI has been used to cool diesel and unleaded EGTs through latent heat of vaporization since turbos were invented. It’s not like it’s dumping water down the hatch. It’s more like a humidifier.
There is a guy on one of the other forums who's injector took a dive and it drilled a hole in one of the pistons. He is going all out on a rebuild including meth injection. He is doing a compound turbo setup larger intercooler ARP head studs, corillo rods, larger injectors etc. He has the vehicle back together and running but the meth system is not installed just yet. He is the only one I know of that is actually doing this so far.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My '62 Oldsmobile Jetfire had a turbo charged 215 cu in aluminum V8 with a methane water injection system. I've never heard about a similar system in any diesel, but I guess it could work; but not on my truck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unless your trying to grenade your engine. Water is never a good idea in a diesel. At about a 100:1 expansion rate for water. In a engine that has a very high compression ratio(use for ignition of the fuel). Is a recipe for disaster. Diesels have sensors to pick up any water in the fuel system for good reason.
This methanol or water mist is any different than driving in heavy rain? I notice my truck runs better in the rain

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've noticed that as well. I get 36-38mpg on the highway driving 60-65mph in rain or fog, versus 32-34 in clear weather. I'm looking to try a Snow WMI kit this summer. Check out this video.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've noticed that as well. I get 36-38mpg on the highway driving 60-65mph in rain or fog, versus 32-34 in clear weather. I'm looking to try a Snow WMI kit this summer. Check out this video.

That looks like a nice set up. Let us know how it works out. I may install one also

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, that Mileage is unobtainable with my 2.8. My best mileage is 28 hwy empty. I’m averaging 20 with mixed trailer towing. 22-24 in town.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ZR2.. averaging 20 to 21 around town.
27ish on the highway here, I have done as well as 32.2 on the hwy.

It really shines purring along on the backroads around 52 mph seems to be the sweet spot.. regularly see 50+ mpg under those conditions.

Works for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ZR2.. averaging 20 to 21 around town.
27ish on the highway here, I have done as well as 32.2 on the hwy.

It really shines purring along on the backroads around 52 mph seems to be the sweet spot.. regularly see 50+ mpg under those conditions.

Works for me.
Same for me at 52. The issue I face is I have to get to 55+, back off on the throttle to get the transmission to upshift to 6th and then back off to 52. I wish I could lock the transmission in gear, but I don't want any possible warranty issues with a transmission tune. So, I will just do the "up and down thing"!

Truck running very well at 38k

1 - 14 of 14 Posts