Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting, I had elevated idle set on mine, turned that off and will observe the charging system's behavior.

Drove from CO to UT and back this past weekend, headlights on the whole time, battery fully charged :)

Reactions: SFLTruck

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
So, for an update... I drove the truck 1100 miles over 2 days with tow/haul mode off and during the daylight, so the headlights were off. Summary of what I did - changed battery, checked and retightened main red cable from battery engine fuse panel, and set the idle mode to low, which previously had neither option selected. Truck has been trouble free starting since (after 2 dead battery experiences) with several short trips and after sitting overnight. Battery still shows resting charge of 12.1 / 12.2. I have driven it over 5000 miles since the problem surfaced without recurrence.

I don’t know for sure what the problem is/was or have much confidence it is resolved. But, I now travel with an expensive jump pack at all times.

On the bright side, I averaged 29 mpg on the unloaded 1100 mile trip and 20 mpg pulling the trailer a combined 2600 miles, 1300 of those with a 6600 pound load and 1300 with a 2200 pound load.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Was your resting voltage test done with the whole no touching the remote,hood latch release, opening the door thing? (from post #11). The reason I ask is because 12.1 to 12.2 is fairly low SOC.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Was your resting voltage test done with the whole no touching the remote,hood latch release, opening the door thing? (from post #11). The reason I ask is because 12.1 to 12.2 is fairly low SOC.
I stated that a little wrong. The running / driving voltage was 12.1 / 12.2. When I did what you described it was after sitting overnight with the hood open and was 12.6.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Even that sucks though... It should never be below 13.5....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yep, I dunno... Im going to stick with this one until I can’t. I won’t send my wife out in it on a long trip again, nor would she be willing. In spite of its issues, I still like driving it and will tolerate it, again, until I cant.

However, this is the second GM in a row I purchased new that has been less than what it should be. There won’t be a third.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Been driving it trouble free since the last update. I took out the original battery today which replaced the new one installed in February. I have no idea if that new battery was the problem or not. Because I bought the battery from Walmart via their online system and picked it up myself, they took it back no questions asked. I went back to the automotive section myself and purchased another new one, the newest on the rack. I installed it today. FWIW, it was 13.7 volts on the shelf. After installing it and running around a bit, voltage is 12.5 after I shut it off and it sits for a few minutes. DIC showed it charging between 13.5 and 14.2 at all time when running, shortly after start up. I’m just hopeful one of the things I did fixed it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts