Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

Welcome to the site, please post an introduction thread!

920K views 82 replies 51 participants last post by  TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the ColoradoDiesel.org! We love to learn a little bit about our new members... how you found out about us, your past vehicles, and perhaps why you are interested in the new Colorado Diesel. Please post an introduction thread in this section telling us a bit about yourself! Thanks.

If you are unsure how to create a new thread in this section, click here: http://www.coloradodiesel.org/forums/introductions-and-site-help.6/create-thread

#2 ·
Thanks for letting me be a part of your new site. I just happened to stumble upon it searching for related Colorado/Canyon diesel topics. I have a GMC Canyon All Terrain on order up here in Canada, it was placed in later November. No build date yet and not expecting one for quite awhile as my friends from the south will be looked after first...lol
I previously owned a 2011 Ford F150 Limited which I purchased new, loved the truck but absolutely brutal on fuel. Before that it was a 2005 Ford F150 Lariet which was a great truck also.
I looked into this GMC Canyon diesel for the main reason of towing, I drag race a bike and have an enclosed trailer. The combined weight was nothing for the 6.2liter Ford but fuel economy was not there. That's why I am going to try this new mid size Canyon out. Fits the bill perfectly.

#3 ·
Thanks for letting me be a part of your new site. I just happened to stumble upon it searching for related Colorado/Canyon diesel topics. I have a GMC Canyon All Terrain on order up here in Canada, it was placed in later November. No build date yet and not expecting one for quite awhile as my friends from the south will be looked after first...lol
I previously owned a 2011 Ford F150 Limited which I purchased new, loved the truck but absolutely brutal on fuel. Before that it was a 2005 Ford F150 Lariet which was a great truck also.
I looked into this GMC Canyon diesel for the main reason of towing, I drag race a bike and have an enclosed trailer. The combined weight was nothing for the 6.2liter Ford but fuel economy was not there. That's why I am going to try this new mid size Canyon out. Fits the bill perfectly.
Welcome to the site @Fast14! Great to have you.

#7 ·
Hey all. I have had a '04 diesel Jetta and have been waiting for a smaller sized diesel truck to come on the market. I am kinda steering toward the Colorado over the Canyon.

#11 ·
Great to have a site like this. I love diesels too. I have a 2012 VW jetta sportwagen TDI. -The infamous dirty diesel with on board emission-cheating software. They may be buying it back from me. It's a great car, basically it just pollutes more than they said it did. Those lying cheaters! I had an '09 Chevy trailblazer that I used to pull a little pop-up tent trailer that I have. It...went away with my ex and I now need something else for work (Architecture) camping and adventuring. I pre ordered a Diesel Colorado which is slated to be here by my birthday in a week. Very excited!

#13 ·
Florida diesel enthusiast; needed a smaller diesel truck than my 2500 HD and waited for a long time for the GMC release; bought a white SLT /4WD/longbed on April 14 and it's a great truck. Tuned with duramaxtuner.com, leveled, 32s and waiting for more aftermarket upgrades. Thanks for creating the site.

#16 ·
Another new guy here. I posted a thread in the introduction forum and it's waiting for moderator approval. I've owned several 3/4 & 1 ton trucks in my life and a few of them diesels. I recently sold a 2005 LLY CCSB 4x4 and today I bought a Canyon CCSB 4x4 SLT with the little duramax.

#17 ·
Thanks for managing, maintaining and making your site available. I purchased 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Short Box Duramax Diesel November 28th, 2016. I have over 5,000 plus miles on it already, all touring, back country, vacation etc. miles. I still use my old beater (98 Ford Explorer) around town and for High School parking lots and save the Duramax for the road trips. My long term interest in this investment is quality over time (and reputation of Toyota Tacoma). Given the Diesel engine new to US and released in 2016, I am taking the risk of being an early owner / tester of new technology. So keeping an eye out for any kind of major / minor technical glitches, quality issues, major components, etc. So far, no issues, love this vehicle, runs, performs, fun to drive, great mileage, etc. So far, fantastic!

#19 ·
There is a thread in General Discussion about Show us what you're Towing I think it is called. Some guys towing UTV's and mud trucks with these. I had my wife take our Canyon and go get 2,000 lbs. of concrete premix 2 weeks ago with our trailer, which probably weighs 1,000 lbs maybe with no trailer brakes and she said she couldn't tell it was back there. Was probably a 20 mile drive through flat ground and some decent hills too. Just told her to turn on the tow/ haul mode and go. Love the truck so far with 2,000 miles on it.

#21 ·
Bought my 2016 Colorado Z71 short bed with 2.8 Duramax last March-2016. So far I have about 25,500 Miles on it. I am a Rev war Reenactor and use it to go to events as well as my daily drive. Great fuel economy after it broke in around 12,000 Miles. Only one snow storm this winter and it was great in the snow (8 to 12 "). The only problem is the Check Engine Light has been on 3 times. The first time it shut off by itself-14,000 Miles. The 2nd time-19,000 Miles, the dealer replace the Fuel Filter heater and now at 25,500 Miles it's on again. Love the truck, but this is annoying.

#22 ·
Hey Everybody,

I just picked up my new Colorado on April 29th! Summit white crew cab "long bed" 4x4 z71 and could not be happier!

My wife and I were heavily contemplating purchasing a new 4Runner but decided a truck would fit our needs better. And boy were we right!

In the first 24 hours, we had filled the bed up with bark, dirt, flowers, and a costco run. Then this past weekend, we pulled a dump trailer all weekend that would have been over the capacity of a 4Runner. Not to mention we never saw below 16mpg towing in the city.

Absolutely love my little tractor :D

#23 ·
I picked up my 2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 CC SB CyberGrey back in April and coming from a 2011 GMC Sierra CC SB with bolt ons ( cam, VVT delete, DoD delete, headers, intake, exhaust and tuned) that had 300 whp and 315 ft lbs tq, I was skeptical bout downsizing on the size of the truck and engine.

I test drive the 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad and was not impressed with the engine and transmission setup. Test drive the new Nissan Titan XD Diesel and liked that but the price and the overall size wasn't sure of. Lastly the Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel and much like the Titan was the same results.

I really didn't need a full size truck as 99.9% of the time I'm the only one in it and I can still fit 4 adults if need be, maybe not for a crazy long trip but still doable. Second this thing can haul anything I will ever need to tow.

Only have 2020 miles as of today and I cannot be happier I love how much easier it is to just drive and the fun factor of it! People still don't know they have put diesels in these awesome trucks! The powdercoated underside is a huge step up for GM too!

Only mod I have done is add a MightyMouse Solutions catch can. I highly recommend running one and if you do David at MIghtyMouse helped design the one on mine and is very easy to work with and looks clean with no modifications needed other than the removal of the stock hose.

#24 ·
Hola!

Lifelong Toyota guy who got tired of waiting for Toyota to update their Tundras/Tacomas and bring a diesel to the U.S. Just brought home a Diesel ZR2 and I love this truck so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Chevy's reliability has improved drastically since the 80's

#26 ·
Hi everyone. Our dog Bruno (in the avatar in my 68 C20) said it's time to get a new rig. Life long Chevy guy: 67 C30, 68 C20, 86 Jeep XJ Chief (2.8L V6 Chevy), 95 S-10, now a 17 Colorado Z71-4WDCCLB in Red Hot with a SNUGtop Xtra Vision cap as of April 1.

We bought it to eventually tow a small trailer in retirement travel around the US. Great vehicle so far (5700+ mi.). Looking forward to this winter and ski trips to the Sierras.

Reactions: Burgess159
#27 ·
Hi everyone. Our dog Bruno (in the avatar in my 68 C20) said it's time to get a new rig. Life long Chevy guy: 67 C30, 68 C20, 86 Jeep XJ Chief (2.8L V6 Chevy), 95 S-10, now a 17 Colorado Z71-4WDCCLB in Red Hot with a SNUGtop Xtra Vision cap as of April 1.

We bought it to eventually tow a small trailer in retirement travel around the US. Great vehicle so far (5700+ mi.). Looking forward to this winter and ski trips to the Sierras.
Nice, glad you like it and welcome :)

#28 ·
Hello, just joined the forum. Purchased a Colorado Crew ZR2 last week. I have several trucks, including a 2012 Crew Raptor set up for jumping and going fast, a 82 Defender w a 300 TDI and 1992 Dodge 4x4 W a 5.9 L Cummings w 360 on the clock. I actually traded my Z07 for this truck and hope to use it for some overland fun and backroad rambling. Will teach my daughter to drive in this fine vehicle. I have a ranch and a lot of interesting spots to run it so look forward to testing the suspension and the towing capability. The ride is incredible and the mileage is better than the wive's diesel BMW SUV but not quite what the landrover is getting.

#29 ·
Hello all. Nice forum. I'm enjoying many of your postings so decided to join this one. Picked up a 2017 Colorado Z71 with the Duramax in December 2017 and so far I'm quite happy with everything it has shown me. I did a lot of research prior to pulling the trigger on it but it's also reassuring to read all the positive feed back on this forum. Thanks.

#30 ·
Hey guys! Stumbled upon the site looking for input on exhaust for my 2017 Colorado Z71 Dirty. Lurking around the site I am finding I have a few of the same issues going on....Glad to be gaining knowledge within the first few minutes on the Forum! I came from a 2015 Silverado 5.3 and love the transition. Great fuel economy and tows all my toys very well!

Hope to learns lots

#31 ·
Hi, Bill from CT here. Signed up for the site sometime ago, but now have a reason to post.
Brought home a new (nice price dropped 2017) Black Colorado Z71 CC SB just last night.

I've been a lifelong Toyota guy, and still have my 08' Tacoma base in the driveway.
She will be going up for sale shortly, but I will need her awhile longer as the new truck spends a day at the Line-X spa, and then some time with my new friends at Leer.

Ordered the N-Fab Nerf steps and am waiting for the box from Weathertech with the black liners.
Thought about the afe Rebel side exhaust, but pretty sure those will clunk with my choice of steps.
Planning to add a 2m ham radio and maybe a CB.

Going to wait until I hit about 1500 miles and then I am thinking about the DuraMax tuner.
This is my new daily driver and most of it is expressway.
Looking to maximize mileage in that regard.
Waiting for a bit to first baseline the stock configuration and for my driving to adjust to the new vehicle.

This Colorado is my first Diesel. Love the sound this engine makes.

Only wrinkle so far is WTF with Apple Car Play?
USB connections between the phone (iPhone 8S) and the truck drop after 5 or so minutes.
Primed a new lightning cable, so will try that first before passing judgement, but that little bit of kit has been underwhelming in an otherwise happy day.

Shout out if you are nearby to southern Connecticut.

Attachments

#32 ·
Welcome. Nice truck. Don’t expect any increase in expressway mileage from the tune. With their engine + trans tune you may pick up a few mpg in the 45-55 backroads cruising because they shift up one gear higher than stock tune would have. Expressway driving is the same. The power is incredible, but don’t spend the money hoping for mpg. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.