Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running WIX air filters on my Civic, but going to have to switch it up and put one in the truck too, rather than the AC Delco.

Glad I never got on the K&N band wagon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I always knew K&N sucked when it comes to stopping dirt, but wow, K&N sucked even more than I imagined. PF is awesome by the way. That guy's nerdy brain operates at a much higher frequency than mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would never buy a flat pleated air filter from anyone anymore. That filter was designed to replace the OEM filter. Instead the air box and install an air box that will accept a cone shaped filter. These types of filters have more surface area for the air to pass through. Also never take a brand new K&N (or similar type of wet filter) and install it dry. Spray a light coat of filter oil on it. I've been using K&N type filters for over twenty five years and never had any turbocharger or fuel system issues due to dirty air.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, when I do change filters (only 13,500 now), it will be STP, Fram or Wix. An OEM equivalent will do me just fine, I believe!

·
Registered
65 Posts
So the 'tests' seem to indicate, however I wonder about the validity of this particular series of YouTubes. They provide information, but, at least for me, don't absolutely direct my decisions.
In any event, I already bought several STPs months ago on a sale at AutoZone, and in my backwoods adventures will be changing them at no more than 15,000 mi intervals. To me, cheap insurance!

·
Registered
65 Posts
After responding to your post, I decided to look at0 my air filter, even though I just had my last 'free' oil change at 13,342 mi, and there was no adverse comment on the inspection report.
It appeared overly dirty to me, and since it was already a year since I bought the truck new (85 mi) 4/19, I changed it and also changed the cabin air filter. Apparently these excursions to lake put ins and trail heads is more than what I thought vis a vis debris in the air and on the road.
I think from now on I will change both at every other oil change.

Reactions: Burgess159

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using Wix or Napa Gold (Same Manufacturer) for quite some time. You can find some good deals at Napa during their periodic sales or if you like to stock up like I do, check out FleetFilter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For my 6.5TD Suburban I would change oil every 2500, fuel every 10K and clean my reusable air cleaner every 10K. 300,000+ miles later and it's still running string. I always bought my WIX filters from fleetfilters by the case. Thinking maybe doing something similar for the Colorado at 5000K

·
Registered
65 Posts
For my 6.5TD Suburban I would change oil every 2500, fuel every 10K and clean my reusable air cleaner every 10K. 300,000+ miles later and it's still running string. I always bought my WIX filters from fleetfilters by the case. Thinking maybe doing something similar for the Colorado at 5000K
Before this ride, I had a from new 2006 Yukon XL 2500 4x4 8.1l 12,000# tow package that i sold at 243,000 mi. I had a similar oil change frequency and transmission flushes every 50,000 mi as I towed a 10,000# Airstream. I am trying Blackstone oil analysis now for oil and fluid to help me determine a more scientific change interval.

That Burb was the 'gas to diesel Frankenstein' from the 90's? It seems to have served you very well!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yea, that engine was never intended to be in that truck, way too big for the engine compartment. When I opened the Colorado hood for the first time I was like, I could jump in right there and close the hood. I ended up putting in an intercooler on the Burb cause I needed it since I tow most weekends. I use to change my transmission fluid every season so it was fresh for the summer months. It has a 4L80e transmission in which the converter was way too small for a low stall diesel so it generated a ton of heat. I had three coolers on it (2 were factory) and still the fluid would go above 265 out of the converter, pre-coolers if it was not locked up while towing. I used to always try to stay above 50MPH and rip between drive and OD depending on the speed to keep it locked up. B&M transpak helped a lot with the shift points and keeping it locked up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As a followup, when I decided to change the air filter at 13,400 mi, I noticed the AC Delco OEM had a tight plastic mesh 'pre-filter' in front of the pleated paper media. This appears to be better than the STP filters I had bought from AutoZone which were only pleated paper. So, I returned these for a refund and bought a pair of the OEMs on Amazon and installed one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WIX and or NAPA seem to be the best quality filters for engine intake and cabin filters. Precise fitment in a housing will vary from manufacturer. You may or may not notice which may or may not make a difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts