Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at cold air intakes. I see that aFe has a few of them, but aside from two of them being either dry, or oiled, and another having a container around it (the Momentum GT Pro), I can't really tell the difference. Is one better than another?

On the ones that are an exposed filter that are not contained in a box, it seems that they would get really dirty really fast and just not be that good. I've never used a cold air intake so I don't know a whole lot about them, other than they are supposed to increase HP and torque with more airflow to the engine. But which one is best???

These are the 2 I saw on aFe that I am questioning. If K&N or S&B or anyone else has one that fits the Colorado/ Canyon, I would be interested in those as well.

Momentum GT Pro - http://afepower.com/afe-power-54-74007-momentum-gt-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system#overview

Magnum Force Stage-2 Pro Guard 7 http://afepower.com/afe-power-75-12832-magnum-force-stage-2-pro-guard-7-cold-air-intake-system

There are 2 additional Magnum Force filters, but all use the same "Oil Free Filter." I think the Pro Guard 7 uses 7 layers, the 5R is 5 Layers and then there is a Dry S that has 3 layers. I don't remember what the Momentum GT was and I don't know if it said if it was oil free as well.

So, if they say they are oil free, then why do they have a restore kit that uses oil and in the instructions, it says, "Never run an aFe filter WITHOUT oil..." But you just said your filters are oil free, now I should always run oil with them? I'm confused. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would stay away from K&N especially on a diesel. Since Diesels really only on fuel and air, air quality and amount are very important. So intakes that use an oiled filter, the oil gets sucked up into the intake and clogs up the MAF sensor. So if I was to get one I would lean towards the Pro Dry, for the Pro 5R and Guard 7 both say that they are oiled. You can add a mesh bag around the filter that does not restrict air flow but helps extend the life of the filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was looking at cold air intakes. I see that aFe has a few of them, but aside from two of them being either dry, or oiled, and another having a container around it (the Momentum GT Pro), I can't really tell the difference. Is one better than another?

On the ones that are an exposed filter that are not contained in a box, it seems that they would get really dirty really fast and just not be that good. I've never used a cold air intake so I don't know a whole lot about them, other than they are supposed to increase HP and torque with more airflow to the engine. But which one is best???

These are the 2 I saw on aFe that I am questioning. If K&N or S&B or anyone else has one that fits the Colorado/ Canyon, I would be interested in those as well.

Momentum GT Pro - http://afepower.com/afe-power-54-74007-momentum-gt-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system#overview

Magnum Force Stage-2 Pro Guard 7 http://afepower.com/afe-power-75-12832-magnum-force-stage-2-pro-guard-7-cold-air-intake-system

There are 2 additional Magnum Force filters, but all use the same "Oil Free Filter." I think the Pro Guard 7 uses 7 layers, the 5R is 5 Layers and then there is a Dry S that has 3 layers. I don't remember what the Momentum GT was and I don't know if it said if it was oil free as well.

So, if they say they are oil free, then why do they have a restore kit that uses oil and in the instructions, it says, "Never run an aFe filter WITHOUT oil..." But you just said your filters are oil free, now I should always run oil with them? I'm confused. Thanks in advance for the help.

I purchased the AFE momentum GT and it did great for a week Then it threw a code P2A00 which is basically the emissions system. I reset it and it can back on five different times all under different conditions, I am really disappointed. Called Chevy to schedule an oil change and told them of the problem, and the Aholes tried to start talking about voided warranty!!!! 1.5 months since purchase and 4200 miles. I am at a loss for thought That's my two cents so far.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've personally have never had any issues with K&N filters. A
As far as oil clogging up MAF sensors? If that's an issue you are putting on way too much on the filter. lolol
Really you are only suppose to oil the outer part of the filter
Also MAF sensors are on every car or truck now a days. If there was an issue with them it would be on all vehicles.

My buddy has a 4X4 shop and he has one of those displays where the fan is running and you can pick a filter to see which one out performs the other. Anyhow, I asked him if he ever turns that thing off, and he said it's been running for several years non stop.
I can honestly say, there isn't any oil on the tube that measures the flow, and if it's been running for years.

Now saying that... I think most any non paper filter is probably far better. IMO

I use to love AFE because they were just like K&N but half the price, now a days they are more expensive.

Banks Power has been one of the leading diesel performance company for years & years!!!
They sell both dry and oiled filters. If there was an issue they wouldn't sell them.

I personally look for my cone filters on E-Bay because I am a cheap bastard!!! lolol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've personally have never had any issues with K&N filters. A
As far as oil clogging up MAF sensors? If that's an issue you are putting on way too much on the filter. lolol
Really you are only suppose to oil the outer part of the filter
Also MAF sensors are on every car or truck now a days. If there was an issue with them it would be on all vehicles.

My buddy has a 4X4 shop and he has one of those displays where the fan is running and you can pick a filter to see which one out performs the other. Anyhow, I asked him if he ever turns that thing off, and he said it's been running for several years non stop.
I can honestly say, there isn't any oil on the tube that measures the flow, and if it's been running for years.

Now saying that... I think most any non paper filter is probably far better. IMO

I use to love AFE because they were just like K&N but half the price, now a days they are more expensive.

Banks Power has been one of the leading diesel performance company for years & years!!!
They sell both dry and oiled filters. If there was an issue they wouldn't sell them.

I personally look for my cone filters on E-Bay because I am a cheap bastard!!! lolol
So I did go with the mom oil filter from AFE and since I reset the code five times that first day it hasn't come back on 6 days now. So I don't know maybe a learning curve. But the stealership wants to void warranty because of it

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I did go with the mom oil filter from AFE and since I reset the code five times that first day it hasn't come back on 6 days now. So I don't know maybe a learning curve. But the stealership wants to void warranty because of it
I don't know either... Could be a learning curve I guess.

I can't see a dealership voiding a warranty because of an air filter... That's just dumb... Never heard that one before.
I could see if you were driving without an air filter, because that would be dumb. lol

In a worse case scenario... If something bad was to happen to your truck that needs dealership work... Put the stock filter back in before thaking it to the dealership. Problem solved.

Same thing with programmers... I have never taken any of my vehicles in to a dealership with it programmed.
I have always returned it to stock (the programming) before I take it to a dealership.
It's a good practice, because I have heard of dealerships who have re-flashed peoples cars or trucks while at the dealership... Which then makes your programmer you spent 100's of dollars for useless.

·
Registered
151 Posts
K&N's might be fine on a NA motor, but I would definitely not trust them on anything boosted. Having a turbo/charger means your intake is basically under suction. I put in a K&N, brand new straight out of the box in a Tdi I used to have and about 3 days later, car wouldn't idle and threw a CEL saying my MAF sensor was bad. After spending $100 on a new sensor and doing a little research and saw I was not the only one who had issues with K&N and how bad they are for Tdi's, I threw it away and just run high quality paper filters. K&N might have been one of the first ones out there, but they are definitely not the best, especially in the diesel industry. S&B is a well known name in the diesel industry and for good reason, they flow very well, high quality and decently priced. I have been emailing S&B and they are working on a developing an intake for the 2.8, hopefully it won't take much longer, because that is where my money will go above all else.

·
Registered
158 Posts
K&N's might be fine on a NA motor, but I would definitely not trust them on anything boosted. Having a turbo/charger means your intake is basically under suction. I put in a K&N, brand new straight out of the box in a Tdi I used to have and about 3 days later, car wouldn't idle and threw a CEL saying my MAF sensor was bad. After spending $100 on a new sensor and doing a little research and saw I was not the only one who had issues with K&N and how bad they are for Tdi's, I threw it away and just run high quality paper filters. K&N might have been one of the first ones out there, but they are definitely not the best, especially in the diesel industry. S&B is a well known name in the diesel industry and for good reason, they flow very well, high quality and decently priced. I have been emailing S&B and they are working on a developing an intake for the 2.8, hopefully it won't take much longer, because that is where my money will go above all else.
I never heard of S&B before, but I like their website... Looks like good quality filters. I will definitely keep my eyes on them from here on out.
Thanks for the information on them.

As far as Oil Based filters... Even S&B uses mostly oiled based filters it appears. They have several that are not.
So I would think if S&B and Banks use oiled filters for most of their products. (Banks being mostly about diesels) You are probably ok using them.

I personally think it comes down to personal preferences. What you like, or what's worked for you in the past. I have personally used K&N and other oiled filters on just about everything I've ever owned... They just out perform paper filters and can be cleaned and reused as well. (not ruined when it gets wet)

I will say, this is my 1st diesel, and I will definitely be keeping my ear to the ground about it. Although I have had several turbos and supercharged vehicles and have only used oiled filters. Even now on my wife's Range Rover Evoque which is a turbo car. and I have never had filter issued like that before.

Saying that... This will probably be the time it does it happen, and I will have to come back here and tell you that I suck and you are were right!!! lolololololololol (but I will clean the MAF sensor if I have issues right off to see if that fixes it)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't wait. Had their upgraded turbo mouthpiece on my 2004 LLY. Was looking at getting one of their cold air intakes on it too, but then ended up selling the truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know either... Could be a learning curve I guess.

I can't see a dealership voiding a warranty because of an air filter... That's just dumb... Never heard that one before.
I could see if you were driving without an air filter, because that would be dumb. lol

In a worse case scenario... If something bad was to happen to your truck that needs dealership work... Put the stock filter back in before thaking it to the dealership. Problem solved.

Same thing with programmers... I have never taken any of my vehicles in to a dealership with it programmed.
I have always returned it to stock (the programming) before I take it to a dealership.
It's a good practice, because I have heard of dealerships who have re-flashed peoples cars or trucks while at the dealership... Which then makes your programmer you spent 100's of dollars for useless.
Unfortunately, the dealer can void your warranty because of an air filter if the aftermarket air filter is causing problems that need to be fixed by GM. Also, the days of doing a tune and then removing it before you go see the dealer for warranty work are also gone by the wayside. The computers in the newer vehicles have a memory in them so once you do the tune, the info is "remembered" by the computer and remains there even if you remove the tune. If/When the dealer checks the computer and it shows there was a tune at any point in time, done to your engine/powertrain and any part of that system needs warranty work, GM has the right to not cover it. That being said, you can add any aftermarket part to your vehicle that you want but, if that part causes a problem and has to be fixed by GM(Warranty) they may not cover it.
Also, if the 2.8 works anything like the 6.6 then just adding a CAI won't make any noticeable difference in engine performance, plus the only aftermarket air cleaner that filters better than the OEM filter is the Donaldson Powercore G2 and they don't make one(yet) for the 2.8.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
IF the air filter caused the problem, and they can prove it. That's a big if. Maybe an oiled air filter could cause the MAF to fail due to getting oil on it. Then the MAF repair wouldn't be covered under warranty. That isn't your whole powertrain warranty, though

Gearhead, I'm not saying you don't understand how it works, but People make it sound like you do a mod and the whole warranty gets wadded up and thrown in the trash can like a basketball for two points. I talk about warranties on this forum until I'm blue in the face.

That being said, you aren't going to see any gains from an air filter. Save your money.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
All intakes are under suction, that's why all the vacuum hoses connect to the intake manifold on a engine. The air filter on all vehicles is under suction.

Think of a turbo like a pool pump. Suction in front and pressure behind the pump.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Sorry Gearhead... You're wrong about the air filters.

This is what the law reads.
Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

I just took my truck in for some warranty work. ( a popping noise under the truck )
I was waiting for them to tell me they couldn't do it because it was lifted by someone other then the dealership.
It was something simple and they fixed it... Not a word except how much they liked the look of my truck.
Even the dealerships manager came out to take a look at my truck and told me how he likes the way it sits.

As far as changing your tune back and forth...My neighbor has a tune on his 2016 GMC Diesel... It had backfired on him a couple of times (under a load) with the tune and without the tune... So put it back to stock and took it in.
They couldn't get it to backfire (of course) but ran a full diagnostic tests on it. Turned out to be something to do with the MAF ( I believe )
It was fixed and not one person said anything to him about his tune he had on his truck prior. (maybe they just didn't care)

Anyhow... As I've stated before... Dealerships make the majority of the money through warranty work. It would be dumb for them to tell you they won't warranty something... Because they wouldn't get paid and that's how they make their money.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Alright, rather than hijack the one thread where RockCrawler and I started talking about the new S&B filters CAI that they just came out with for the 2.8, I remembered that I had started this post a while back...:rolleyes:...anyways, I found this video on it. Think this guy was one of their first testers for the unit. Thought I would share it with the rest of you. Definitely confirms that I want this intake for my truck. Mainly because, as the guy says, "This thing is badass, just super badass.....It just sounds like your face is going to get ripped right in the motor (from the suction of the intake)." :D

Also, I scrolled through the comments and I see a fellow by the name of jeepnuts, who has a truck just like RockCrawler....hmmmm....so I figure I'm not the first one to see this video from on here ha.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts