Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I purchased a Firestone lifetime alignment contract the day I bought the truck new. The alignment was out, as usual with all my vehicle purchases. Since then I have had the tires rotated, a comprehensive vehicle check and the tires rotated after every oil change (DIY) at Firestone.

I am a full-time RVer, and all such work has never been done at the same Firestone store. As for me, anyone driving 6,000+ miles with no changes in the alignment has been driving on a smooth test track and not on today's highways and streets. No slight intended to anyone as I am only commenting on my personal experience.

My alignment has always had minor, and two more critical, adjustments in 50,000+ mi. Unless you believe that Firestone has some policy to fake alignment issues, which I don't, then for me I made the right decision. I don't want to wait till I see a tire issue as certain misalignments take a while to manifest themselves.

With my Coach, where 5,000-15,000mi/yr is normal, I have a 3 axle alignment performed every other year. Each of the eight 295/80 22.5 Michelins cost $850+, and I consider the alignment reasonable.

Others will have other ideas and rationales, and I respect that.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can share that on my 2018 Colorado that I started seeing some funky tire wear, but it drove straight, but not balanced. So I took it into my friends shop that has the big all wheel alignment computer. WOW were things off! First of all, the bed on the Fram was not bolted on straight.. fixed that. The rear axle was not straight with the frame, it was off about 1/8"... fixed that too. Then the front end made no sense whatsoever. Perhaps because the rear was not straight, who knows. There was not one thing correct - camber - cater - tow - or Ackerman. Since everything was so far out into left field, I also did a bump steer on the front as well and ended up adding shims to the upper control arms along with everything else. Now, it drives great, handles great, and I gained about .5 miles per gallon...

Another testament of that great GM quality that they are so famous for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.