Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing during my morning commute, that once I hit around 70 mph and higher, there is a whining or whirring noise,(sorry my best description). My truck has around 18000 miles on it but I have noticed it only in the morning, but traffic is lighter around 4-5 am around LA. As soon as the speed drops under 65 it goes away, it only happens around 70 and above while accelerating. Any ideas would be appreciated as I am worried that the dealer may not be able to duplicate this when I take it in next.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I notice a whining anytime I drive fast and my wife is in the truck.

Does your Noise goes away when you coast and comes back when you are in the fuel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 , I noticed that when I bought the truck there was a lot of road noise , thought it was tires because they were new. I now have 35,000 miles and still hear it even when I coast. First time I ever had a diesel , is this a normal noise with a diesel ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I mean the engine probably makes more noise than a gas engine, but there shouldn't be any more road noise like the sound of the tires or wind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I mean the engine probably makes more noise than a gas engine, but there shouldn't be any more road noise like the sound of the tires or wind.
Gonna try and get in to dealer and have it checked. Maybe take a new one for a ride and see if it sounds the same .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious if you have any update on the whining noise? I have something similar going on in my 19 Colorado. Its very faint and I'v noticed it goes away if I switch it into 4x4 or auto 4x4. Only 2k on the truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still happens and only when i'm on the highway when I go over 75. Dealer stated they checked but could not drive it that fast to replicate and It does not sound like a turbo wine. One of those annoying things that you have to live with. No other issues at 32000 miles though. By the way mine is a 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'll jump in here with a long-shot source my heater/defroster fan makes a whining/whistle noise going occasionally going around corners or accelerating, you might try turning down your fan speed and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
@Shawn, has the noise gotten louder or can you hear it at lower velocity? I know it is low mileage for a failure, but have you thought about it being a wheel bearing? I had to have my rear seals replaced around 40K miles. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
507 Posts
My Dad had unique method of noise cancelation keep hitting the dash til it stops rattling. That truck had so many visible cracks in the dash, I was always thinking it would fall off. Never did. Truck rusted/seized motor first. Old '73 Heavy Half. Custom. Custom rust, custom flaking paint.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts