Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody travelled all over Baja yet? Curious about the diesel reliability? Seems like low sulfur is available northern part but not sure about the southern area. Does the high sulfur diesel screw your truck up if used?
Headed there in Feb for a surf trip.
Cheers, Atom....

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Duramax Diesel Supplement Manual is pretty clear on the subject and if you have an unmodified truck under warranty I'd stick with the recommendation (on the bright side almost all truck/automobile diesel stops have ULSD since it's required by law on new vehicles so you won't have any trouble finding it), excerpt from the manual:

Fuel - Use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (ULSD)
Use ULSD only. The emission control hardware used on the vehicle may be damaged by using fuel with high sulfur levels. Use only fuel that is dispensed from pumps bearing the ULSD label.

Do Not Use Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (LSD)
Do not use fuel that is dispensed from pumps bearing the LSD label.

Do Not Use Non-Highway Fuel
Fuel labeled as off road or non-highway is typically very high in sulfur content and will damage the emission control system. Non-highway fuel is not intended for use in on-highway vehicles and does not have the fuel properties needed by the DPF-equipped Duramax diesel.

In addition:
. Use the correct engine oil.
. Do not add gasoline to diesel fuel.
. Do not modify the induction or exhaust systems.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I did not find any station selling diesel #2 in Baja California. I cross in Calexico and went as far as San Felipe. I packed 20gal of diesel#2 with me.

I did not go through TJ, since it is a huge city, they may have diesel#2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I have read the manual. Just wanting first hand experience from Baja...
Cheers, Atomizer

The Duramax Diesel Supplement Manual is pretty clear on the subject and if you have an unmodified truck under warranty I'd stick with the recommendation (on the bright side almost all truck/automobile diesel stops have ULSD since it's required by law on new vehicles so you won't have any trouble finding it), excerpt from the manual:

Fuel - Use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (ULSD)
Use ULSD only. The emission control hardware used on the vehicle may be damaged by using fuel with high sulfur levels. Use only fuel that is dispensed from pumps bearing the ULSD label.

Do Not Use Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (LSD)
Do not use fuel that is dispensed from pumps bearing the LSD label.

Do Not Use Non-Highway Fuel
Fuel labeled as off road or non-highway is typically very high in sulfur content and will damage the emission control system. Non-highway fuel is not intended for use in on-highway vehicles and does not have the fuel properties needed by the DPF-equipped Duramax diesel.

In addition:
. Use the correct engine oil.
. Do not add gasoline to diesel fuel.
. Do not modify the induction or exhaust systems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts