Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
So what is pic one of
The 1st pic in my post is a Milwaukee bore scope looking at one crusty intake port and valve. EGR and oil mist create deposits you don't want on your ports and valves. Adding a catch can removes the oil mist, which should reduce this buildup greatly.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Im guessing I pulled 4-6 oz. or so out of the can this time. Hadn't checked it in 7,500 miles though which is the longest interval I’ve gone between checking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Install isn’t hard. I think American Diesel Power has an updated bracket that installs easier than the one I have. That was the hardest part. Attaching hoses was easy.

link to their kit:ADP Catch Can Kit (2016-2020 GM 2.8L) | AmericanDieselPower
I was searching on amazon and found a nearly identical oil catch can advertised for a BMW. I think this would be worth a shot for those not wanting to spend a whole lot of money. $30 dollars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just changed my oil, oil filter and fuel filters at 19,982 mi. This was the 3rd oil change since new (1st two changes were 'free' from GM) and the 1st fuel filter change.

The oil (5w30 Dexos2) was at 6,640 mi and 11%. The fuel filters were at 50%. Everything went well, and I installed a Fumoto to make my future oil changes a bit easier 'creepered' under the truck!

My 1st drain of the Provent since installed at 7,954 mi was at 13,342 mi (5,388 mi on oil) and yielded 1 oz of oil. This 2nd drain at 19,982 mi (6,640 mi on oil) yielded an additional 2 oz of oil. I am satisfied that the Provent is doing it's job. The Provent filter has taken up a lot of the blowby.

I didn't take a photo of the fuel filters, but, compared to the YouTube videos I've watched, mine looked cleaner, probably due to fewer miles.

I replaced the oil with 5w40 Dexos2 spec oil and will now change the oil every 5,000 mi and the fuel filters every 4th oil change. This is probably sooner than most out there, but I like nice round numbers! And that's been my protocol for the past years.

I sent a sample of the drained oil to Blackstone for analysis including soot. I will be very interested when a sample of 5w40 comes back in 5,000 mi to compare results.
20200823_161417.jpg

I just bought a 1963 Morgan Plus 4 4 seater roadster and ordered a custom enclosed 8.5x18 car hauler trailer so I will be towing shortly, a new load for the Colorado.

Reactions: Vinolush
21 - 24 of 24 Posts