Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
So what is pic one of
The 1st pic in my post is a Milwaukee bore scope looking at one crusty intake port and valve. EGR and oil mist create deposits you don't want on your ports and valves. Adding a catch can removes the oil mist, which should reduce this buildup greatly.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Im guessing I pulled 4-6 oz. or so out of the can this time. Hadn't checked it in 7,500 miles though which is the longest interval I’ve gone between checking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Install isn’t hard. I think American Diesel Power has an updated bracket that installs easier than the one I have. That was the hardest part. Attaching hoses was easy.

link to their kit:ADP Catch Can Kit (2016-2020 GM 2.8L) | AmericanDieselPower
I was searching on amazon and found a nearly identical oil catch can advertised for a BMW. I think this would be worth a shot for those not wanting to spend a whole lot of money. $30 dollars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just changed my oil, oil filter and fuel filters at 19,982 mi. This was the 3rd oil change since new (1st two changes were 'free' from GM) and the 1st fuel filter change.

The oil (5w30 Dexos2) was at 6,640 mi and 11%. The fuel filters were at 50%. Everything went well, and I installed a Fumoto to make my future oil changes a bit easier 'creepered' under the truck!

My 1st drain of the Provent since installed at 7,954 mi was at 13,342 mi (5,388 mi on oil) and yielded 1 oz of oil. This 2nd drain at 19,982 mi (6,640 mi on oil) yielded an additional 2 oz of oil. I am satisfied that the Provent is doing it's job. The Provent filter has taken up a lot of the blowby.

I didn't take a photo of the fuel filters, but, compared to the YouTube videos I've watched, mine looked cleaner, probably due to fewer miles.

I replaced the oil with 5w40 Dexos2 spec oil and will now change the oil every 5,000 mi and the fuel filters every 4th oil change. This is probably sooner than most out there, but I like nice round numbers! And that's been my protocol for the past years.

I sent a sample of the drained oil to Blackstone for analysis including soot. I will be very interested when a sample of 5w40 comes back in 5,000 mi to compare results.
20200823_161417.jpg

I just bought a 1963 Morgan Plus 4 4 seater roadster and ordered a custom enclosed 8.5x18 car hauler trailer so I will be towing shortly, a new load for the Colorado.

Reactions: Vinolush

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just changed my oil, oil filter and fuel filters at 19,982 mi. This was the 3rd oil change since new (1st two changes were 'free' from GM) and the 1st fuel filter change.

The oil (5w30 Dexos2) was at 6,640 mi and 11%. The fuel filters were at 50%. But here again, the oil should look in detail, for example, I found a special recommended oil for duramax davesoilchange.com/best-oil-for-duramax/ and based on this I was able to gradually restore the engine. So the oil is probably the key thing.

My 1st drain of the Provent since installed at 7,954 mi was at 13,342 mi (5,388 mi on oil) and yielded 1 oz of oil. This 2nd drain at 19,982 mi (6,640 mi on oil) yielded an additional 2 oz of oil. I am satisfied that the Provent is doing it's job. The Provent filter has taken up a lot of the blowby.

I didn't take a photo of the fuel filters, but, compared to the YouTube videos I've watched, mine looked cleaner, probably due to fewer miles.

I replaced the oil with 5w40 Dexos2 spec oil and will now change the oil every 5,000 mi and the fuel filters every 4th oil change. This is probably sooner than most out there, but I like nice round numbers! And that's been my protocol for the past years.

I sent a sample of the drained oil to Blackstone for analysis including soot. I will be very interested when a sample of 5w40 comes back in 5,000 mi to compare results.
View attachment 8853

I just bought a 1963 Morgan Plus 4 4 seater roadster and ordered a custom enclosed 8.5x18 car hauler trailer so I will be towing shortly, a new load for the Colorado.
It didn't work for me, I had to change the filters afterwards.

·
Registered
5 Posts

installed the Provent kit from sasquatch. Nice and easy install. Only part I had to source was the PCV heater so I wouldn't have to cut the factory hose clamps and return to stock for dealer related maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After looking at the whole catch can discussion, I took a look at my 2018 2.8 Duramax intake. I'm not one that likes "crud" running around in an intake. I know that I always put a catch can on the turbo charged racing engines I would build for customers to insure that clean air went into the intake. At 30,000 miles my baby Duramax had a nice film of oil on the turbo intake and can only presume that there is a film in the intercooler as well.

Looking around here and the net for a simple bolt on solution, I found that they were either quite pricy, or pretty wimpy, and sometimes both. I also have experience around industrial diesel engines as well as marine diesels. So I figured that if I was going to spend $240 for a catch can, why not spend $300 and go for the best. Just my nature to do apotential over kill.

I used a Racor CCV4500. This is the smallest CCV that they make, and is rated for a turbo charged engine up to 400 HP, so that should be more than needed for my 2.8 Duramax. I just put it on so I don't know how much it will catch. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil in it and change it about every 5,500 miles or at 20%, whichever occurs first. I've got about 4,000 miles until the next oil change, so I plan to just leave it alone until then and see what shows up. I've added a couple of pics from the install for your viewing pleasure. More information on this system is available here:

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/crankcase-ventilation-systems/ccv4500-08r

There is a great explanation of CCV filtering and emissions reductions here:

https://www.parker.com/Literature/R...d-Crankcase-Ventilation-Filtration_-_7678.pdf

So in other words, this should make our little diesels a little cleaner without sacrificing power; which is always a good thing in my book

One piece of caution / advice; for some reason they used a rare thread on the inlet and outlet. It is a -14 JIC straight thread with an O-ring or AKA 1 3/16” 12 thread. I had to get the fittings from a specialized hydraulic supplier. I used 5/8” hose which is -10 AN. So the fitting is a -14 straight O-Ring to a -10 37 degree AN. Then I just used a couple of 90 degree -10 hose ends as you can see. (FYI: common JIC / AN sizes are -10, -12, then -16)

Enjoy!

CCV  - 1.jpeg

CCV  - 2.jpeg

·
Registered
104 Posts
From 7,000 mi to 32,000 mi (4 oil changes), I have drained a total of 15 oz of condensed oil vapor. I think a catch can is mandatory on this motor!

·
Registered
247 Posts
From 7,000 mi to 32,000 mi (4 oil changes), I have drained a total of 15 oz of condensed oil vapor. I think a catch can is mandatory on this motor!
Wow 15OZ dammm I now know what I need to do next ! The thought of that lining the intercooler and totally killing it's efficiency and coating the intake and valves will now keep me up at night.

Thanks Steam lol... :)

Where did you mount your dipstick? Mine is mounted to the bracket just to the right of the coolant pressure tank (the A/C line bracket) which may be in the way of a catch-can.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow 15OZ dammm I now know what I need to do next ! The though of that lining the intercooler and totally killing it's efficiency and coating the intake and valves will now keep me up at night.

Thanks Steam lol... :)

Where did you mount your dipstick? Mine is mounted to the bracket just to the right of the coolant pressure tank (the A/C line bracket) which may be in the way of a catch-can.
Mine is mounted the same way, if I understand your description.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes mine is exactly the same.
Thanks for the photo this answers the question of having both in that area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 9018
installed the Provent kit from sasquatch. Nice and easy install. Only part I had to source was the PCV heater so I wouldn't have to cut the factory hose clamps and return to stock for dealer related maintenance.
I am about to install the Provent as well, and need to have the option to revert to factory as well. Can I ask what part number you found for the PCV Heater?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am about to install the Provent as well, and need to have the option to revert to factory as well. Can I ask what part number you found for the PCV Heater?
Q
Yes, i think this would be good. Is it another hose? I havent actually look at the engine bay like that of mine yet, but the option to do so feel needed since i got the 75 month "bumper to bumper" warranty

·
Registered
104 Posts
As an update, I changed the oil at 39,000 recently, 5W30 Castrol Euro Dexos2, before a 1,800 mi r/t NC-VT and drained an additional 6 oz of condensate, total 21 oz since 7,000 mi, from the Provent drain line!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys I'm sorry I dropped the ball on that. In order to get the PCV heater and hose you actually have to buy the entire valve cover. That's the only way to get the PCV hose and heater. Hey anybody need a valve cover? Lol
I'll see if I can find the original box and take a picture of the part number

21 - 35 of 35 Posts