Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for a winter fuel additive ? Anyone have any issues with fuel gelling up ? Heading into the cold season here in Illinois and this will be my first winter with the diesel. Loving this truck and motor so far, just turned 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I haven't had an issue so far. We did get down to 0 a few times last year here in Missouri. So, not serious cold, but cold enough to gel untreated fuel. I know a lot of people tell me that using fuel additives for anti-gel is overrated, that your local fuel stations should have enough additives in them to prevent any gelling. However, I take the extra measure and add anti-gel just in case as I have seen vehicles gel up here in Missouri (saw quite a few diesel trucks on the side of the road last year during one of those real bad cold snaps). Maybe we just have crappy fuel here in Missouri x]

I personally use AMSOIL All-In-One which has anti-gel, fuel lubrication, and cetane booster. Just over $38 for 64 oz. (if you are a preferred customer through AMSOIL, it's 25% off everything). They do make just an anti-gel which is called Cold Flow and either comes in 16 oz. bottles or 5 jugs or 55-gallon drums...16 oz. bottle is $9.55. I personally like the AIO because it has the cetane booster and lubrication also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What are you guys using for a winter fuel additive ? Anyone have any issues with fuel gelling up ? Heading into the cold season here in Illinois and this will be my first winter with the diesel. Loving this truck and motor so far, just turned 15,000 miles.
I have never had to run fuel additive and have started my truck down to -21 degrees without issue. It cranks over slow and complains a lot, but has always started even without a boock heater.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been using this product from day one. Have about 3K miles on my 2019 Colorado so still early to tell but all the reviews I've read say good things!

https://promo.parker.com/parkerimages/promosite/Stanadyne Additives/UNITED STATES/downloads/datasheets/99835_Performance-Formula-Diesel-Fuel-Additives.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stanadyne perfomance formula has been recommended by all the diesel performance shops around me. I have used it for about a year and never had any issues and would venture to say that the few times I didn’t treat, my MPG gas actually dropped a bit. Very happy with this product.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I haven't had an issue so far. We did get down to 0 a few times last year here in Missouri. So, not serious cold, but cold enough to gel untreated fuel. I know a lot of people tell me that using fuel additives for anti-gel is overrated, that your local fuel stations should have enough additives in them to prevent any gelling. However, I take the extra measure and add anti-gel just in case as I have seen vehicles gel up here in Missouri (saw quite a few diesel trucks on the side of the road last year during one of those real bad cold snaps). Maybe we just have crappy fuel here in Missouri x]

I personally use AMSOIL All-In-One which has anti-gel, fuel lubrication, and cetane booster. Just over $38 for 64 oz. (if you are a preferred customer through AMSOIL, it's 25% off everything). They do make just an anti-gel which is called Cold Flow and either comes in 16 oz. bottles or 5 jugs or 55-gallon drums...16 oz. bottle is $9.55. I personally like the AIO because it has the cetane booster and lubrication also.
Thanks Burgess, I'll try the Amsoil. But just before it gets as cold as it got for us last year. I went antigel free, and on that zero day you mentioned, almost didn't make it home from a trip a mile away.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have never had to run fuel additive and have started my truck down to -21 degrees without issue. It cranks over slow and complains a lot, but has always started even without a boock heater.
Not typical. Anything towards zero, farenheit, you're at risk, unless you have custom blended diesel. It's happened to me with 3 diesels so far, since I hate additives. This year, I'm going for them, but sparingly, and "just in time".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not typical. Anything towards zero, farenheit, you're at risk, unless you have custom blended diesel. It's happened to me with 3 diesels so far, since I hate additives. This year, I'm going for them, but sparingly, and "just in time".
Been through two winters without issue. I am buying my diesel from my home state where it gets this cold. My diesel tech says that is why it's okay. The fuel is formulated for the climate. They do see issues when people come from warm climates to cold climates with fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Been through two winters without issue. I am buying my diesel from my home state where it gets this cold. My diesel tech says that is why it's okay. The fuel is formulated for the climate. They do see issues when people come from warm climates to cold climates with fuel in the tank.
I'm glad you're in a good place, but I can attest that fuel is not always "formulated for the climate" quickly enough. Where Burgess and I live, and in large parts of the US, we are getting polar vortices that I'm guessing are hard for the refiners to plan for. They know how to change refinery pressure and temperature set points to reduce gel temp, but not early enough to catch the product between their runs and pump fills. One of those vortices last winter gelled me up, using hometown fuel, in my hometown. Which is why I am grateful for the advice in this thread....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad you're in a good place, but I can attest that fuel is not always "formulated for the climate" quickly enough. Where Burgess and I live, and in large parts of the US, we are getting polar vortices that I'm guessing are hard for the refiners to plan for. They know how to change refinery pressure and temperature set points to reduce gel temp, but not early enough to catch the product between their runs and pump fills. One of those vortices last winter gelled me up, using hometown fuel, in my hometown. Which is why I am grateful for the advice in this thread....
That makes sense. Where I am, unfortunately, it usually gets cold and stays cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stanadyne is what I use. Its the only one with a GM endorsement and according to the msds sheets from gm's own diesel fuel additive it is the same stuff the dealer would sell you.

·
Super Moderator
507 Posts
Better safe than sorry? I can't see any downside in using a good anti-gel/fuel additive/cetane booster combo and the upside is avoiding a tow bill, repairs and or inconvenience. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went with Stanadyne. Normally when I make the 3 hour drive to see my dad I set my cruise on 75 mph and get 28.4 mpg. This trip after I started adding the Stanadyne at 75 mph I averaged 30.2 mpg. Not sure if it was just the cooler air making the difference or the Stanadyne, but I think I'll keep using it through the winter at least.

·
Registered
258 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts