Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, I’ll check mine tomorrow. This is a great reminder with any rig you buy, to get it home and get to know your rig. Wires riding surfaces that can get hot for example. Zip ties and purple velvet are a rednecks best friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to report my 2018 Chevrolet Colorado Diesel Z71 had the worn exposed chaffing wire issue on 3/20/2019 with 13,620 millage, that grounded out on a air conditioner pipe. It was a unsafe condition when it happened driving 60 MPH on freeway and all of a sudden get a reduced power message, see owners manual emission system, max speed 65 MPH next 171 miles and engine light came on, engine will not operate correctly when engine light is on. Drove to dealer they repaired wire and re-routed engine wire harness, all good now. I see on the forum that there is two issues with this problem already, I recommend a safety re-call on this issue, but that is not up to me.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at mine, 2017 Canyon, and it did not appear to me that the wire was chaffing or damaged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2016 2wd Chevy Colorado. I crawled under, looked from the driver side, I could see maybe 3/8 of a run with no wrapping to the alternator but nothing is around it. All other wire groups are wrapped and protected. I searched that whole area. I tried searching for it. Didn’t see anything concerning.

However I just thought of something...I got mine used under cpo. I noticed immediately the engine bay had been gone threw. So it’s possible the dealership already fixed it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good evening Gents! I just experienced this. If you would be so kind as to detail the reroute and provide some photographs to support said correction. Your time is greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good evening Gents! I just experienced this. If you would be so kind as to detail the reroute and provide some photographs to support said correction. Your time is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Not sure if there is a suggested fix or wire reroute. My first thought would be to put some rubber hose around the wires to keep it from happening again. Or, possibly using zip ties to secure the wires more safely away from the points they are rubbing at, just depends on how much slack in the wires there are (if any) and if they can be zip tied up and away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if there is a suggested fix or wire reroute. My first thought would be to put some rubber hose around the wires to keep it from happening again. Or, possibly using zip ties to secure the wires more safely away from the points they are rubbing at, just depends on how much slack in the wires there are (if any) and if they can be zip tied up and away.
I found the chaffed area of the harness, and used a modified plastic water bottle as a protection sleeve. Wrapped the harness in the sleeve, and applied three zip ties to secure in place. This is just a band aid for now. A reroute and more robust repair are due once I can get the truck to the shop and up on a lift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2016 Colorado Diesel is having the same symptoms at 132k. Have spent $700 at the dealer already and they have more parts ordered. Just looked at my harness and it is rubbing but i cant get a good look under the harness to see if it is worn through. Jerryjm1 pic looks like they relocated the harness so its not against the condenser. Going to bring these pics to the dealer along with the symptoms and have them check the harness. Thanks all for posting! This is a big help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 2016 Colorado Diesel is having the same symptoms at 132k. Have spent $700 at the dealer already and they have more parts ordered. Just looked at my harness and it is rubbing but i cant get a good look under the harness to see if it is worn through. Jerryjm1 pic looks like they relocated the harness so its not against the condenser. Going to bring these pics to the dealer along with the symptoms and have them check the harness. Thanks all for posting! This is a big help.
I get the feeling that the scope and seriousness of this problem is being downplayed and the link below shows that GM and the dealers have been well aware of the wire chaffing issue for some time - there should be no excuses. Here is the link to the latest bulletin I could find that GM was required to submit to the NHTSA which covers model years 2016-2018 (so far): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10147385-9999.pdf

Dealers can access whatever the latest release is.

This can be a deadly serious safety issue if these codes throw your vehicle into immediate/restricted 10mph limp mode in the middle of high speed traffic and there is no way to safely maneuver out of it - get them to do their research and check each known point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
UPDATE! My wiring harness was rubbing on the AC condenser and exposed two wires and they were grounding out. Portsmouth Chevy service manager told me (in a very harsh tone) that GM is doing nothing about this unless your vehicle is under the 3 year 36k warranty. I asked to speak with their GM rep and was told he left and they don't know when they will have a rep again. Dealing with this person was pathetic. I will say their service tech and service rep were pleasant to deal with and knowledgeable but the service manager is in no way working for his clients.
I am going to reach out to GM directly. This is a major defect and will render our vehicles "worthless for resale" in a short amount of time. I seem to remember some GM reps chiming in on this forum but they have seem to have gone silent on this issue. I recommend all who own these vehicles to check all the service bulletin chaffing spots and correct them immediate. Once the harness is compromised has not fix. The only correct way to fix this is to replace the harness. As a life long GM owner this is truly disappointing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
UPDATE! ....
I am going to reach out to GM directly. This is a major defect and will render our vehicles "worthless for resale" in a short amount of time. I seem to remember some GM reps chiming in on this forum but they have seem to have gone silent on this issue. I recommend all who own these vehicles to check all the service bulletin chaffing spots and correct them immediate. Once the harness is compromised has not fix. The only correct way to fix this is to replace the harness. As a life long GM owner this is truly disappointing.
In addition to talking with GM please do the following (both may seem futile but it builds a historical trail elsewhere);
1. File a complaint with the NHTSA, and express your SAFETY experiences or concerns with this issue. Since we have the best government money can buy and human life is only priceless to you, expect them to do NOTHING until multiple people have been killed and/or hundreds of complaints have been filed, and they are forced to do something to save face. Its sad but that's just the way it is.
2. File a complaint against GM with the Better Business Bureau for failure to honor their warranties - the wire chaffing issue DOES directly affect the emissions and power train functionality which have longer warranties and is not some extraneous part.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looked at mine, not rubbed through, but I don't like the routing situation at all. I think I will pull the fender liner and do some redneck engineering involving zip ties and old heavy rubber motorcycle inner tubes ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Looked at mine, not rubbed through, but I don't like the routing situation at all. I think I will pull the fender liner and do some redneck engineering involving zip ties and old heavy rubber motorcycle inner tubes ;)
I'm carrying a roll of self fusing silicone tape at all times for emergencies and bought extra to just wrap some of the noted points when the weather warms up. I found it funny that when I had some issues where the dealer said it was my ECM and not chaffing that I now also have a big knot of cloth tape wrapped around the harness where rubs against the AC tube under the left wheel well :) There is a plastic hanger loop higher up on that tube the harness goes through that I will secure in place with the fore mentioned silicone tape point so the harness can't slip down and rub.

Hopefully between the ECM replacement and the mysterious new harness wrapping job my issue is taken care of, I just put a trip from Seattle to Salt Lake City today on the truck and was pretty much hoping it would hang in there and so far so good...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts