Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
That silicone tape looks good. I plan to go that route.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I’ve been having issues with the truck running bad and a nox sensor to blame. Been running great now.

Does this look factory? First pic is how it was found. Second was after I moved the harness. Doesn’t that look like a short happened there?

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well I’ve been having issues with the truck running bad and a nox sensor to blame. Been running great now.

Does this look factory? First pic is how it was found. Second was after I moved the harness. Doesn’t that look like a short happened there?
Yes, that is how it came from the factory. I agree, it does not look like you had a chafing problem there.

I just did mine last night - removed the wheel and fender liner for easier access. It is kinda amazing how many little coolant hoses, I guess for EGR? and wires are running around this engine in that area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What do I do? It’s prob not ok like that right? I haven’t look from the bottom but it’s a **** show to access from the top and wheel well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What do I do? It’s prob not ok like that right? I haven’t look from the bottom but it’s a **** show to access from the top and wheel well.
Ya, no kidding, what an access nightmare. Looked at it from every angle and concluded the least brain damage way to get to the harness there was to pull the wheel (I have a floor jack), pull the fender liner, which is not hard to do with the requisite Torx bit, and have at it. Since it is cold and I am indeed a redneck, I wrapped it in thick rubber from an old heavy dirt bike tube and secured that rubbery mofo with some quality UV resistant non brittle kick ass zip ties. Wrapping it in the aforementioned silicone fusion tape would be a cleaner situation, but I had a bug up my ass to do it and it was 8 PM.

Handy observation, there is a small wire that T-s off the back there were it contacts the A/C plumbing, it looks like it plugs into the water temp sensor. Be careful of that and work around it accordingly. The idea is to put something between the fragile harness and the metal A/C line it can rub on. Another caution - the starter motor's main lead runs near there, don't prod that with a metal screwdriver. I did not do this, but that lead is wired straight to the battery and grounding it would no doubt be a sparky situation!

·
Super Moderator
391 Posts
Electrifying! I wish it was not winter out. I'd like to tackle this on mine, though I have no problems thus far at almost 60K miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bringing this back up. I found this thread in a google search. Ive had intermittant 4x4 service, traction control issues... then this morning the engine power reduced came up, lost all power, trans was sputtering and jerking, Stabilitrack warning came on. Almost left me stranded. Sure enough, 2 wear holes from the AC line. I can see at least 2 wires that are bare and were contacting the AC line (shorting it out).

This is GREAT info for anyone having any crazy electrical issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome, glad we can help each other out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
How are you guys accessing it? Reaching it is pretty inconvenient.

What’s the best way to solve it? Are you re routing it or protecting somehow?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No idea. Its a company truck so I'm dropping it off at the dealer and letting them deal with it. I've got other issues they need to deal with too. Truck has 52k on it. I bought it 2 months about with 48K and its been a absolute nightmare. So many issues, this will be its 6th trip to the shop in 4000 miles of ownership. I'm assuming its a lemon the PO just didn't want to deal with and traded it in. Unfortunately the dealer I bought it from doesn't want to stand behind it so I had to go to another dealer.

I'm hoping this is the last of my issues, because I like the truck. You cant beat the fuel economy of these little diesels. I'm use to driving big trucks, most of our fleet are 1 Ton's and I have a 1 ton Cummins as my personal truck. Its so nice having a little truck to run around in.

·
Super Moderator
391 Posts
I wonder how big the connecter is. If it is not enormous I'm thinking one could slip an oversized piece of shrink tubing over the wires, slide it back over the contact area and then using a Bic lighter or heat gun, shrink it in place. That in theory would give an extra layer of protection. That and or zip tie the wires in a fashion that they no longer rub. If it's rubbed through, the stealer will probably cut the wires, splice with crimp connectors, and maybe try to mitigate contact. Then give you a bill for $300

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Might try a piece of heater hose slipped over it.

Also, @Splash4oh, that wiring issue could be a large part of the issues you have been having. Not sure what other problems you have had to deal with, but the electrical thing does cause a lot of havoc.

·
Super Moderator
391 Posts
There is a hiccup someplace that is giving Facebook fits. Cant open the link.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get the feeling that the scope and seriousness of this problem is being downplayed and the link below shows that GM and the dealers have been well aware of the wire chaffing issue for some time - there should be no excuses. Here is the link to the latest bulletin I could find that GM was required to submit to the NHTSA which covers model years 2016-2018 (so far): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10147385-9999.pdf

Dealers can access whatever the latest release is.

This can be a deadly serious safety issue if these codes throw your vehicle into immediate/restricted 10mph limp mode in the middle of high speed traffic and there is no way to safely maneuver out of it - get them to do their research and check each known point.
Thank you for posting this. I inherited my husbands Colorado and fora year we have been dealing with the dealership with this. The fuse blows. Leave the truck for a week each time and I get a bill with no explication. When the issue first started the truck was underwarrenty. I’ll take a look at all this and see if it is the issue.
My husband passed away and I am keeping the truck. Might be a wrong choice with the wiring problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts

mine is a 2019 when I first bought it that was one of the first things I looked at on the lot mine has a plastic stand off that snaps onto the AC line from there it is zip tied to the harness to keep them apart.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts