Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
mine is a 2019 when I first bought it that was one of the first things I looked at on the lot mine has a plastic stand off that snaps onto the AC line from there it is zip tied to the harness to keep them apart.
looked at mine again and it seems to be routed differently that what I am seeing here. it goes over and in front of the piping on the left here in the pic, not behind. there is a second plastic standoff in the area of the compressor head there however it was not on the pipe still. I wrapped that section of the harness to protect it even though it was not touching. I will keep the TSB on hand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So after printing, i went out and checked ALL the other areas that were addressed, they all seem to be fine, the harnesses have been moved, re routed, placed differently to avoid those areas of concern. No electrical issues as of yet, but I am only at 9900 miles. it does not look however as these chafing areas will be a concern although I will keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a persistent "Service Trailer Brake" DIC light for about two years, and recently (two weeks) starting picking up a "Service Power Steering" light that went off every 10 minutes or so (when accelerating/decelerating) and now comes on at every start up. No symptoms in function. Dealer attributed bad Body Control Module for trailer brake light due to the code (which subsequently is on the list of codes in the service bulletin). I haven't taken it in for the power steering yet, but I want to avoid one of those major loss of steering at highway speeds or limp mode.

Today I took off the front driver's wheel and found very worn wiring harnesses on the main and accessory branches near the AC compressor, but no appreciable fraying in the insulation of the individual wires. Wrapped in electrical tape and unhooked the battery for an hour, but both DIC warnings returned. I guess I'll give the dealership a crack at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MY 2019 owner here with similar symptoms. Had a flurry of P2BAA DEF related codes when truck had 12k miles. At 44k miles now, and getting intermittent service 4wd messages. Dealer has referenced the TSB, but haven't found any chafing themselves. I think I'll have to take a closer look myself when I get the truck back if they aren't able to reproduce the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problems with my 2019... I've taken it to two dealers. The first dealer's techs were just useless. The second seemed like they were pretty on it and referenced this tech bulletin. I may have to double check their work myself just for piece of mind. It has been fine the last few days but today all the gauges stopped communicating for a couple of seconds. The stabiltrack light popped on and then off for a second and it kicked me out of trailiering mode. Everything then went back to normal. No check engine light. Checked for any codes with a Bosch code reader and nothing. Nothing like paying 40 some grand for a new truck and then this s**t. Been going on for months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coming back full circle here. GM came through and helped cover the cost of the repair. Drove ~250 miles since the repair and haven't had any issues. Fingers crossed this is the last I see of this issue. @HalfWatt the dealer I used had to disconnect and partially remove the harness to see where the actual damage was, as its not possible to see all the chafing points from a visual inspection with the harness in-place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello to all. I’m a brand new member but have been a visitor to the community for several years now! I’m going to keep this introduction short for now because I just want to get to my point in this thread. Although I do have to say thank you to all the contributors for they have been able to provide me with invaluable information. I will do the proper introduction with some pics after I get through this issue that I am currently dealing with.
I have a 2017 Colorado crew cab Z71. In an effort to keep this as short as possible it start with my tpws illuminating. Checked all the tires. Pressure was near perfect. Then outside ambient temperature reading/display was reading incorrectly. Driving into work one morning it was raining/wet out. My DIC lights up “service 4WD”. At 4 years old now tps gone bad?... sure very possible! Ambient temp sensor?... coincidence... maybe! Service 4WD and dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree!... I got questions! Thus the research started and process of elimination. And then I came across this topic when I was googling. Bingo!! Sure enough wire harness all nestled up on the the a/c piping.
So here is the biggest part of the problem. I have over 74,000 miles on the truck so even my extended warranty of 72/72 has expired. I’m in the process of trying to get GM / the dealership to recognize this condition as per the bulletin no.PIP5416.
The dealership wants basically zero to do with this and is insisting that this is from “animal chewing”. I have filed a claim with GM and have been given a claim number.
I certainly understand the dealership doesn’t want to eat this (no pun intended)and I’m not asking them to. This is a GM problem not the fault of the dealership. I just don’t understand why they wont take my evidence into consideration. I took pictures before I touched or moved anything to evaluate the damage. I did inform them that I moved the harness off see I could see the damage as well pull the tape off . Honestly, I was going to attempt the repair myself but when I saw that many wires damaged I said forget it plus I figured I was going to have to get all the codes reset and who knows what else with that amount of damage. Plus that is a bear of an area to work in!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
can we do anything to force GM to do a recall for this? it sounds like the problem it widespread and is hitting lots of the twins.
I think as EKarIW has suggested,report it to all the agencies that he has point out. This is what I am in the process of doing. I’m not sure how it works,but I’m guessing it takes hundreds, if not thousands of cases for it to be a recall. And I will certainly do my part to try to be on that list! This is far from over from my perspective.
The service consultant from the dealership has been of no use to me at all and has pretty much told me I’m ( SOL ) ! And is insistent that this is from “ rodent chewing “ by ONLY looking at the end result and have not even bothered to acknowledge any of my evidence or documentation. I’ve sent all this information to the service manager and have engaged in conversations with him but of course it seems he has the back of his consultant. Again I feel he has not even taken a look at anything that I have given him. ( IMO ) because when I directly ask him, he seems to dance around it. I have filed a claim with GM ( CAC ) and have been given a claim number, but they have been slow to respond so far. By doing so the the dealership has to respond to the claim. It’s like they want nothing to do with this. I’ve told them over and over that I’m not trying to go after them on this. This is not a dealer problem, its a GM problem. GM should have to reimburse them for the repair. The problem is, I feel, is that if the dealership does not back me up on this, then I’ll have no shot at this at all from GM. When I spoke to the service manager yesterday he gave me this whole line about being in “audit lockdown “. Sorry but not my problem! I’m now in the process of engaging with the general manager of the dealership. Maybe at least he will look at all my evidence. It’s obvious for sure by at least all the members in this community with this particular issue that this is a real problem.
That fact of the matter is, that if this was truly “ rodent chewing “ I’ve would of taken this on the chin ( er... wallet!! ) and walked away. I was going to bring this to my local shop guy or attempt the repair myself. But I really feel GM should acknowledge this and rectify it regardless of warranty. It is a real safety concern. Wether it’s driving at higher speeds and suddenly going into “ reduced power mode “ or the wiring shorting out ( my case, but thankfully no fire ). Or catching fire.
I’m also considering at this point to go to another dealership and get their spin on this. Sadly though I really do like my 2.8,even though I had a couple of other electrical components issues early on as well as radio/ blacking out screen issues. ( all warranty ) but all good ever since. Oh yeah... water leaking antenna base as well!! Warranty ( thank goodness! ). It’s my daily driver on a 4” RC lift. I’ll be posting pictures eventually as well as get into some other topics about ideas and stuff other members on here have done with their rigs!
Right now I’m just so disgusted that I feel like driving my rig right through their showroom window right over to the competition’s!!! :(

·
Registered
155 Posts
I updated my post on the first page with the link to the latest bulletin on this issue, it now sadly includes years 2016-2021.

I would also highly encourage everyone regardless of your vehicle to get the NHTSA link for your model and year and routinely check the 'Manufacturer Communications' section (way down on the page) for bulletins they are required to provide about known issues - there is a LOT of information buried there. E.g. for my truck it's: Vehicle Detail Search | NHTSA

·
Registered
74 Posts

Word of caution. This has been an ongoing problem. No matter what year you have you need to look before your forced to do so. I have a 2019 Z71 diesel and I was dissapointed that even by 2019 this problem was not properly corrected. First photo is the area to look at. Circled in yellow from drivers side wheel well tire removed. The second photo is a close up of the area in more detail. Red line depicts the air-conditioning line. Green line depicts the wire harness. The yellow line is the point of contact of the harness and air-conditioning line. Fortunately for me it was just touching and no chaffing. I wrapped a rubber hose around the air-conditioning line and secured it with several tie wraps. There is a plastic stand off just forward of the wire harness but it is not preventing the harness from rubbing against the air-conditioning line. It's not as bad as the photos shown but a revisit is coming soon to figure out a permanent solution. Shame on GM for not taking care of this problem by now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
View attachment 9130 View attachment 9131
Word of caution. This has been an ongoing problem. No matter what year you have you need to look before your forced to do so. I have a 2019 Z71 diesel and I was dissapointed that even by 2019 this problem was not properly corrected. First photo is the area to look at. Circled in yellow from drivers side wheel well tire removed. The second photo is a close up of the area in more detail. Red line depicts the air-conditioning line. Green line depicts the wire harness. The yellow line is the point of contact of the harness and air-conditioning line. Fortunately for me it was just touching and no chaffing. I wrapped a rubber hose around the air-conditioning line and secured it with several tie wraps. There is a plastic stand off just forward of the wire harness but it is not preventing the harness from rubbing against the air-conditioning line. It's not as bad as the photos shown but a revisit is coming soon to figure out a permanent solution. Shame on GM for not taking care of this problem by now.
great pictures and explanation, thank you!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I checked mine a year and a half ago. The green lined area in your photo is their FIX because yours has a layer of friction that mine does not have. The wear spot for most was on the actual A/C muffler not the pipe you're showing. That just means we now need to look at another area of concern as they traded one spot for another..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I checked mine a year and a half ago. The green lined area in your photo is their FIX because yours has a layer of friction that mine does not have. The wear spot for most was on the actual A/C muffler not the pipe you're showing. That just means we now need to look at another area of concern as they traded one spot for another..
Yes, I saw the area up against the muffler. There is a standoff but it is not really effective. The standoff rotates around easily because the harness is thick and stiff. I need to go back in there and add another rubber hose for insulation.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yes, I saw the area up against the muffler. There is a standoff but it is not really effective. The standoff rotates around easily because the harness is thick and stiff. I need to go back in there and add another rubber hose for insulation.
This just makes me want to go back in there next oil change and really give it the attention it most likely needs.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts