Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

Wish to program a third keyless entry FOB

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  EKarlW 
#1 ·
So, I just sold a 2001 Mazda Miata MX5 and could not find the spare key (with chip)!

My son just purchased a 2017 Malibu Premier that only has one FOB/key!!

I already have CRS syndrome!!!

So, while I still have 2 working Fobs for my 2017 Canyon 2.8 Duramax (with remote start), I want to purchase a 3rd.

Can you provide a reference on how I can use two functioning fobs to program a third for the 2017 Colorado/Canyon? (without needing a locksmith or dealer)

I saw one thread, but it quickly wandered into a wide range of topics, none of which answered the question above/

Thanking you in advance.
Peace/Out

#2 · (Edited)
Programming the spare keys for my 2017 Colorado required BOTH original ignition keys
to put the vehicle in 'learning mode';
1. Insert original key #1 in ignition and turn to 'On' position.
2. Remove original key #1 and within 5 seconds insert original key #2 and turn to the 'On' position
3. Remove original key #2 and within 5 seconds insert new 'unknown' key and turn to the 'On' position

If all the above are done within 5 seconds of each step the system display will show the total number of keys programmed into the system. E.g. If the new key was #3 programmed into the system, the display shows '3 Keys Programmed'.

Using both original keys to trigger the programming cycle is what Fords require and now apparently GM.
Also, if unlocking the door a key vice the key fob, the horn will honk in short beeps until the vehicle is started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.