Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I thought you said "disgrace" button at first :) I can't say I like CVT's. They put them in tractors, like bigger MFWD John Deere's and CIH's, from 100 up to 300 hp and I don't think they seem to last very long or have good experiences. I don't know if they hold up well to pulling heavy implements like a 17 knife anhydrous bar through ground that may not be very....forgiving.

Please educate me on a CVT, but the idea that I have in my head is that they are almost like a giant rubber band in there moving around? I was reading up on Subaru transmissions (in reference to my post about SUV's) and read up on their CVT. I know they have used them for a long time, but apparently their new one uses a steel chain which is more reliable, but I still don't know how they work.

Anyways, when my Kia was in the shop last week, the dealer let me borrow a Nissan Versa to get home and back and I did not care for it. Seemed to get very good fuel economy, but it shifted out of park or into park funny, and took off from a stop all awkwardly. I've never driven a CVT car before but I immediately thought that to be one once I got in it (I looked it up later and it is). Never could feel it shift, and when you mashed the pedal to go, from a stop to gradually up to 65, it just ran 4500 RPM's the whole time until I got to 65. Going up a big hill on the way home, I kept increasing RPM's quickly from 2000 to 5000, but my mph never did go up; think I went from 65 to 55 by the time I got to the top of the hill ha.

·
Registered
149 Posts
CVT's are kind of an evolving enigma - but they're getting better and expected to be in large vehicles in the next few years, for now if you want one in a production 4x4 Nissan is putting them in the 2017 Pathfinder. The point to take away here is that because they can be made efficient with fewer parts (and hopefully better reliability) expect to see more of them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have experience the cvt in a Nissan Murano and did not like it at all. Went back to the dealer 3 time before even hitting 5,000 miles. During the third visit they said I need a new transmission. Nissan bought it back and I took my money and got an Audi A6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have experience the cvt in a Nissan Murano and did not like it at all. Went back to the dealer 3 time before even hitting 5,000 miles. During the third visit they said I need a new transmission. Nissan bought it back and I took my money and got an Audi A6.
I have a 2007 Murano with about 110K miles on the clock - the trans has been flawless - guess I got a good one.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a 2007 Murano with about 110K miles on the clock - the trans has been flawless - guess I got a good one.
Guess I got shafted with the Murano. I had mine a little over 2 months. Didn't have to use lemon law. Nissan just gave me the option of a new tranny or full refund. I took full refund and went to Audi.

·
Registered
164 Posts
First off, no CVT's. Not that they are not theoretically capable, just that they have not been improved sufficiently for this purpose. As for manuals only for sports vehicles, why? What gets un realized is that manuals have improved right along with autos in the last 25 years. They are now BOTH amazing. A 6 speed man in a diesel Colorado would be butter smooth and have a granny low. I would actually prefer it, even though we use ours as our only vehicle. The missus and all the kids are adept and can drive a stick in town, no problem. But as I said B4, the decider is the fact that sticks require just enough driver awareness to keep you doing your job. As a bike rider, I see somnolent drivers at stop signs every ride. Thy are either texting (even school bus drivers) or are in another world. Just a matter of time before one takes me out....

Oh yeah, sticks are also borrow resistant. "Now, it's a stick" usually sends the beggar to the next vehicle owner...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes to the stick shift.
My outgoing 08 Taco is a manual 5 speed, as were most of my previous vehicles through the years.

Talking with a few folks, it seems the big push toward automatic transmissions is Uncle Sam (EPA) pushing the auto manufacturer fleet mileage numbers.
Stick shifts are (indirectly) being regulated out of the market.
Selling more automatics seemingly helps auto makers achieve the dictated mileage targets.

Think that also explains we see more and more gear speeds in automatics.
Wasn't that many moons ago when it seemed auto transmissions were only 3 speeds.

That, and as a population, we are all getting soft and fat..... LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Someone posed this question on one of the facebook groups: If they offered a Canyon/ Colorado Duramax with a 5-6 speed manual transmission, would you buy it?

I marked MAYBE as my answer (YES, NO, MAYBE)

I know how to drive a manual and I am one of the younger generation (born in 1989), but I was raised around agriculture, so I was kind of forced to learn how to drive them later in life for work with our big trucks and some of our work trucks with manuals. I did start off with a 1990 Honda Civic with a 5 speed and then later got a 2000 Honda CR-V with a 5 speed before finally staying with automatics as of late.

In cars, I liked the manual, but driving our work trucks with them (7.3 Powerstroke Diesels btw), I just don't care for them. Especially when you have to haul something. Racing around on back roads in a car, yes. Driving one in a big lumbering truck, not so much. I know our trucks are smaller, but I still don't think I would like it.

What about you?
In manual mode it gives you feature without the hassle of working the clutch

·
Registered
175 Posts
I very much prefer a manual trans but my wife has to occasionally drive the Canyon and she would rather walk over hot coals than even try to learn to drive a manual. I have tried many times to convince her to learn and I will just say it got to a point that we never speak of it now... I gave up.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts