Chevy Colorado Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 ZR2 with Nav, Bose, and all weather floor mats.

I wanted a 4runner. Also for the money, I could have gotten a full size Z71!

But at the end of the day I wouldn't be happy with those until they were lifted and tires/rims. So saved me about $4K out of pocket upfront and I drove it off the lot happy AND nothing to worry about factory warranty!

Plus this thing really has a lot of nice items, front locker, DIESEL, wider stance/longer suspension travel (not just a lift), upper and lower control arms are beefed up, and the list goes on...

I really love it.

I am already itching to tune it though. I don't want to run anything but stock power, however, getting rid of all the DPF, DEF, EGR crap would be amazing!

First day home had the windows tinted, debadged, and wrapped the front emblem in black vinyl.

Thinking about wrapping the whole truck in semi-gloss 3M 1080. I think it would look nice and protect the paint. Ugh, it will take a whole weekend though...

Anyways, look forward to surfing these forums!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I got rid of the emissions garbage. I went with Jason Hackler (hacKman tuning). He uses the DSP4 with a single tune or 4 levels of power. I ran it on 3 (street) for a while and while he told me that was decent on fuel economy, I have just leave it on 2 which is Modified Stock and gets the best economy. 1 is Tow and 4 is Hot Street.

It moves pretty darn good on 3 so I can only imagine how 4 is. Just haven’t bothered to turn it up yet. I have 800+ miles on it since tubing and it runs great. The transmission shifting and no lag when you stomp the pedal are the biggest eye openers with his tuning (and you should see that with whatever tuner you go with really). I put 47,000 miles on the truck in 1.5 years before tuning.

Like I said, a definite eye opener :cool:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I got rid of the emissions garbage. I went with Jason Hackler (hacKman tuning). He uses the DSP4 with a single tune or 4 levels of power. I ran it on 3 (street) for a while and while he told me that was decent on fuel economy, I have just leave it on 2 which is Modified Stock and gets the best economy. 1 is Tow and 4 is Hot Street.

It moves pretty darn good on 3 so I can only imagine how 4 is. Just haven’t bothered to turn it up yet. I have 800+ miles on it since tubing and it runs great. The transmission shifting and no lag when you stomp the pedal are the biggest eye openers with his tuning (and you should see that with whatever tuner you go with really). I put 47,000 miles on the truck in 1.5 years before tuning.

Like I said, a definite eye opener :cool:
Didn’t know you were pulling the trigger on a tune and delete. I need to pick your brain a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burgess159 thanks for your thoughts on the tune. I have heard a lot about pedal placement and transmission shift points being a nice improvement also. I am going to try and wait, maybe 10-30k miles and make sure all the smaller bugs are worked out first.

Also pretty excited to be able to have a 4" turbo back and have it sound closer to the big diesels!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
For the 4 inch turbo back, you'll have to get a shop to make you one custom as (to my knowledge) there are no 4-inch kits from any of the brand name manufacturers. I would have loved to have had one, and maybe one day I'll have a shop custom build me one as well, but I went with the Flo-Pro 3 inch turbo back with a muffler. The muffler is a performance one with no bungs, so it doesn't restrict it any, but it does limit the sound. Apparently, the trucks sound like a tractor with just a 3-inch straight pipe...didn't want that sound, but it sounds decent with a muffler. I believe I'm going to add a 5-inch tip eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Burgess159 thanks for your thoughts on the tune. I have heard a lot about pedal placement and transmission shift points being a nice improvement also. I am going to try and wait, maybe 10-30k miles and make sure all the smaller bugs are worked out first.

Also pretty excited to be able to have a 4" turbo back and have it sound closer to the big diesels!
You are right, I meant the FloPro 3". Normally I think aftermarket exhaust systems are a waste of money, even with the "R&D" spent on "flow testing". $1,200 on a fancy brand name with some weird looking tip vs $300 for an exhaust shop to mandrel bend an actual "custom" exhaust.

I was very surprised to see how cheap a turbo back exhaust was for these things!

I wouldn't mind the tractor sound. Anything to make it more noticeable that it is a diesel and not a gas engine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts